Summer is clearly on the way. And one of the best thirst-quenching treats of summer is lemonade. Nothing beats lemonade from freshly squeezed lemons. But if you’re like me – well, frankly, that’s a lot of work! And luckily for all of us, there are plenty of brands of pre-made lemonade and mixes to choose from.
But whether you make your own freshly squeezed lemonade or buy your favorite already made, here are some ideas to put a new spin on one of our favorite summer drinks.
– STRAWBERRY LEMONADE: chill a pitcher of lemonade and add mashed and whole strawberries. For 1 quart lemonade, use 5 or 6 strawberries – add more for more of a strawberry flavor. Let the lemonade chill for a few hours for the flavors to draw together.
– GREEN TEA LEMONADE: Add lemonade to your iced green tea. Try 1/3 lemonade to 2/3 green tea, but you can mix to your own liking. Chill several hours for flavors to draw together.
– PEACH-LEMONADE GREEN TEA: Add some mashed peaches and slices into a pitcher of iced green tea, add a few splashes of lemonade. Try 1 peach for a quart or add more for a more peachy flavor. Let lemonade chill for a few hours for the flavors to draw together.
If you simmer/steep your own Green Tea Bags for your iced green tea, add the mashed peaches to the simmering/steeping tea bags, then add the peach slices when you chill the tea.
– MINT LEMONADE: Add 2 or 3 fresh mint leaves (such as mojito mint, spearmint or peppermint) to your glass for a hint of refreshing mint. TIP: Bruising the mint leaves will bring out more flavor.
– LEMONADE ICE CUBES: Freeze ice-cube trays with lemonade and/or freeze lemonade AND mint leaves together and add the ice-cubes to your favorite iced-tea or summer cocktails.
– LEMONADE GARNISH: Spear a Maraschino cherry and fresh lemon and/or lime slice for a perfect finish to your lemonade.
ECO-FRIENDLY TIP: Lemonade is always best thoroughly chilled and sipped through a straw. If you haven’t already ditched the plastic straws, there’s an abundance of bio-degradable paper straws available at retailers and even online. BONUS: these paper straws come in all sizes and colors and are reasonably priced. They are sure to add a festive flair to any drink. Amazon also carries a very wide selection.
Find a variety of lemonade choices in your supermarket: refrigerated lemonade, frozen lemonade and powder lemonade. If you don’t want to squeeze your own, find your favorite and do some lemonade experimenting!
MY PERSONAL LEMONADE PICK: Trader Joe’s Organic Lemonade (2 qt. Container, non-refrigerated). No mixing, ready to chill and pour. They also have an excellent Pink Lemonade (2 qt. Container). It’s not too sweet, yet not too tart.
FOR THOSE SWELTERING HOT SUMMER DAYS, THERE’S NOTHING LIKE SOME “LEMON-AID!”